Today I learned… well… it is complicated. For some reason I really struggled getting a server set up to use as a CI box for running test kitchen tests. Today I finally discovered why I was having so much trouble. I do not understand the reason for this, but I will share my findings nonetheless.
I had a host server running
Ubuntu 14.04 and my test kitchen box was also
I ran essentially the equivalent of the following commands to get the host box set up:
That installed vagrant, virtualbox and test kitchen. My problem was that when I would try to run
kitchen or even just a very simple
vagrant up I would not be able to connect to the newly spun up virtualbox machine. Taking test kitchen out of the picture just vanilla vagrant with virtualbox installed fresh on a clean install of
Ubuntu 14.04 seems like it should just work, but it just would not.
I’m sure there is a reason that makes sense to someone, but I discovered that using 32 bit vagrant boxes would work whereas 64 bit vagrant boxes would not. That sort of provided a work around for me, for the time being at least.
He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. - Friedrich Nietzsche